International Student Trips Powered By Discovery Education
Sophie's Australia Adventure

Didgeridoos

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mr. Shelton asked us to find out about Didgeridoos. After visiting six different websites, I still think that Wikipedia is wonderful. But strangely, Wikipedia didn't tell me anything about the history of this aboriginal wind instrument. I did learn that didgeridoos are traditionally made from eucalyptus wood, but can now be made from modern materials such as PVC piping! To find some history, I looked at a website dedicated to Aboriginal Arts. This website told me that the Didgeridoo has been used by the Aborigine for as long as 40,000 years though the only evidence dates back to only 2000 years. The Aborigine made this instrument out of trees that had already been hollowed out by termites. The site mentions that Djalu Gurruwiwi, a famous didgeridoo player, has said that a properly made didgeridoo has a spirit. However, a didgeridoo with a spirit is hard to find, since most of them that are sold are not indigenously made. I hope that while I am in Australia I will get the chance to hear this magical instrument played.

1 comments:

DOColtun said...

Sophie, if you don't bring one back, I've got a diggerido from years ago. Actually, several years ago I sponsored the Australia multi-cultural booth. Don't know if you ladies will be back for that. Surely you'll be allowed to 'hold court' or a special assembly to show off all your travel treasures, photos and journals. Sounds like you're having a great time. Take care, Ms. Coltun

Post a Comment

Essential Programs Details

Duration 14 days
When May 25th - June 7th, 2009
Focus Marine Biology
Conservation/Wildlife
Aboriginal Culture